How we bill for Bandwidth

We provide a wide range of bandwidth billing methods to meet customer requirements. We realize that our customers have different needs, based on traffic patterns, bandwidth utilization, and applications used on their servers.

Traffic – This is the most common billing method. A generous set amount of traffic in Gigabytes (GB) is provided to each server you lease from us. Every GB in and out is metered. If your server does not exceed the GB allotted to the server, there is no additional monthly charge. If your server exceeds the monthly allocation, you pay a small charge per additional GB in excess of the pre-set amount at the end of the month.

Unmetered – With this option you are able to use the entire port assigned to your server without any an overage charge no matter how much bandwidth is used by the server during the month. Connectivity is provided at a fixed cost, regardless of the amount of bandwidth usage.

95th percentile – With this form of billing, bandwidth usage is sampled and recorded every 5 minutes in Megabits per second (Mbps). The top 5% of the traffic measurements are discarded. Provided the top speed in any of the other remaining 95% of the readings does not exceed the commit amount, which is the speed in Mbps you have contracted with Leaseweb, there is no additional charge per month. If the commit speed is exceed by your server, you would pay an additional charge per Mbps exceeding the commit, due at the end of the month.

95th percentile aggregation – For each server (or uplink) in a customer group the 95th percentile usage is calculated. The total 95th percentile of each of the servers is aggregated together in Mbps and the monthly invoice generated in Mbps of all servers.

Traffic aggregation – For each server (or uplink) in a customer group the total in and out traffic in bytes is calculated, and the grand total for all servers in the customer aggregation group are combined to derive a monthly invoice in Terabytes per month (TB).

Our customers can obtain substantial economies by selecting the appropriate billing method for their data infrastructure. For example, with 95th percentile billing customers are able to burst to the full bandwidth of their port, for brief periods to meet peak demand, at no charge, which can be a substantial savings over traffic or unmetered billing rates. With 95th percentile billing, it is possible to burst up to 36 hours up to the full speed of the port during a calendar month, without incurring an additional charge. The customer only pays for the committed traffic.

Of course, some of our customers want the certainty of knowing no matter how much their uplink is used – up to the full speed of the port, whether 100Mbps, 1Gbps, or 10Gbps, there will never be an additional charge. For these customers, the very economical unmetered billing option is often the best solution. There is never a concern for surprise bandwidth overages, since one fixed price covers everything for the month, no matter how heavily the server is used. For many customers, the most common method of accounting for bandwidth, traffic billing still works best. For customers with steady, predictable bandwidth usage, highly economical datapacks of bandwidth often meet client requirements in a satisfactory and economical manner.

While the first three options are available from, the last two billing types – 95th Percentile Aggregation and Traffic Aggregation need to be arranged directly via our sales team and are only available for larger and more complex infrastructures.

We offer this wide range of billing plans to allow our customers to obtain optimal connectivity at a reasonable price. Currently with connections to 20 carefully selected internet exchanges with a wide diversity of routing and carriers, we can offer our customers not only high quality connectivity, but extremely value oriented pricing. For more details regarding the different bandwidth billing options just contact your account manager or the sales team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *